Sunday, September 13, 2009

Days 21: Campfire Camaraderie


A campfire, much like the one I experienced (photo by mynameisharsha)
I actually went into blog withdrawal on Friday, as I met new people and couldn't document it. I felt so.... disconnected. Isolated. So 1.0.

My plan had been to hand-write my proto-entries on the days they happened, thus guaranteeing some freshness and authenticity. Beer, darkness, and controlled social chaos prevented this from happening. I also confess right now that I was absolutely terrible with the camera all weekend.

BUT. I did meet many new people.

Friday involved me asking the question, "So are you a 1L?" (as in first year law student) to many people. This turned out to be pretty embarrassing, since almost always the answer was no. Luckily, I got to pretend that because I'm not a law student myself, I don't have to know anything about what's going on. That claim was pretty well bogus, given the facts of the evening (I was a co-cook and helped organize the evening's goings on), but it helped me save face.

The most memorable person I met on Friday was Mary, who was definitely not a 1L. Mary was visiting from Chicago, as the guest of a law student with whom she'd served in the Peace Corps in Paraguay. The second she said the word "Chicago," there was no denying that was where she was from. The best thing I learned about Mary actually came on Saturday night, when she displayed an amazing ability to recall all the words to every song you might ever conceivably want to sing while sitting around the campfire.

And the days march onward....

0 comments:

Post a Comment